What is KM Connect?
- KM Connect is a public, virtual charter school in the Kettle Moraine School District. The mission of KM Connect is to provide a quality education and an engaging educational environment through academic excellence, positive community-building models, and growth in the Kettle Moraine School District Graduation Profile, with an emphasis on communication and collaboration.
What is the instructional model?
- KM Connect’s core instructional model is based on a seminar style of teaching where students choose new learning experiences aligned to standards or credit every 6 to 8 weeks. Every student in KM Connect will sign up for seminars (classes/learning experiences) based on their interest and credit needs. Seminar options will change every session (every 6-8 weeks). Students will sign up for multiple seminars every session.
- These seminar choices will be made with the help of the student’s navigator (see below).
- Each seminar will have designated, regular (multiple times a week), synchronous meeting times. While each seminar will not meet every day, learners will be expected to complete independent learning activities in between synchronous meetings.
- These seminars will be interdisciplinary and competency based in nature.
- For more specifics, please visit https://www.kmsd.edu/kmconnect.
What is synchronous and asynchronous learning?
- Synchronous learning is when learners and instructors are online together, interacting and engaging at the same time. Asynchronous learning is when students complete assignments on their own time, not live on a Google Meet with teachers or peers.
- Synchronous learning and community building is at the heart of KM Connect philosophy and pedagogy. Students will meet synchronously via Google Meet using their district provided Google account.
How is KM Connect different from other virtual academies?
- KM Connect uses synchronous and regular instruction. A student’s schedule will have regular meetings for instruction and synchronous engagement to develop a strong and positive learning community.
- Synchronous learning as a primary modality is not a characteristic of most virtual academies/schools.
How is KM Connect different from the other KM Charter Schools?
- KM Connect is the only KM school that will have a curriculum offering credit on a grade 6-12 continuum.
- KM Connect is the only KM school where online learning is the primary modality of learning.
- Students in KM Connect will have a personalized, flexible daily schedule. A KM Connect student will have a different schedule for different days of the week (i.e. M/W/F, T/Th). Different students will have different daily schedules, including when classes begin and end every day. This model is based on collegiate scheduling.
- KM Connect will run on a different school calendar than other KM schools. KM Connect's academic calendar runs year round, with longer breaks built in throughout the year. Longitudinal research and data suggests this method minimizes content and skill loss and improves the mental and emotional health of students.
Can a KM Connect student engage in other district extracurricular activities?
- Yes, a KM Connect student can engage in any and all district extracurricular activities, which include but are not limited to: Athletics, Clubs, Theater/Musicals, etc. A KM Connect student, as for any KM student, must meet any prerequisite or requirements that are put in place by the coach/instructor for that activity.
What are the graduation requirements for KM Connect?
To be awarded a high school diploma by KM Connect, students must complete the following credits:
- English and Communication: 5 credits
- Graduate Portfolio: 1 credit
- Health and Wellness: 2 credits
- Leadership: 1 credit
- Mathematics: 3 credits
- Personal Finance: .5 credit
- Science: 3 credits
- Social Science: 4 credits
There are no specific electives required for graduation; however, at least 28 total credits are required for graduation.
Is KM Connect right for my student?
- KM Connect may be right for your student if:
- Your student desires a personalized, progressive, virtual learning experience.
- Your student wants to engage in a challenging, collegiate-modeled curriculum and schedule.
- Your student can preserve time each day for the scheduled synchronous meetings with their teacher(s) and peers.
- Your student possesses strong time management and self-motivation skills.
Day to Day
Will my student be on campus?
- Students will engage in KM Connect school work from their home. There will not be a campus location for housing KM Connect students.
What will my student’s schedule look like?
- Students in KM Connect will have a personalized, flexible daily schedule. A KM Connect student will have a different schedule for different days of the week (i.e. M/W/F, T/Th). Different students will have different daily schedules, including the beginning and end of the day. This model is based on collegiate scheduling.
Does my student have to have their camera on?
- Due to the expectation of participation and engagement, KM Connect students will have their cameras and microphones on during seminar time unless expressly told otherwise by a teacher.
What will my student be doing when they aren’t in a seminar?
- Students will be assigned skill and content work between the scheduled seminar times. Students should use daily time in between seminars to engage in this work.
- Time management is an essential skill for students at KM Connect. While Connect staff will work with their students to develop strategies and habits as it relates to time management, a student should consider this as a factor as to whether or not KM Connect is the right school choice for them.
What is a Navigator?
- All students in KM Connect will have a teacher mentor, we call this a navigator. The navigator meets regularly with their students and guides them through their KM Connect experience.
Can my student take courses at other KM schools?
- A KM Connect student may take any course at other KM schools, given that the course is not offered in KM Connect.
- Students who want to engage in classwork outside KM Connect will coordinate with their navigator to personalize the student’s seminar schedule.
- KM Connect is not responsible for any transportation needs nor supervision for students taking coursework outside of KM Connect.
Will KM Connect offer Dual Credit / AP classes?
What grades can enroll in KM Connect?
- KM Connect is accepting grades 6-11 for the 2022-2023 school year and grades 6-12 for the 2023-2024 school year
What are the requirements for a student transferring into or starting at KM Connect?
- For incoming 6th - 9th graders, there are no academic credit requirements. The enrollment process must be complete.
- For an incoming 10th grader, the enrollment process must be complete and:
- The student should have at least 6 credits transcripted.
- The student should have at least 1 credit transcripted in each of the following areas: English, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies.
- Director, counselor, and parent must agree about the appropriateness of the school placement.
- For an incoming 11th grader, the enrollment process must be complete and:
- The student should have at least 12 credits transcripted.
- The student should have at least 2 credits transcripted in each of the following areas: English, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies.
- Director, counselor, and parent must agree to the appropriateness of the school placement.
Does KM Connect have open enrollment?
- Yes. Learners who live outside of the KM district boundary who wish to enroll in KM Connect must follow the state’s open enrollment guidelines. Information about this process can be found at the district website under Open Enrollment.
What is the process to apply?
- Please visit our Enrollment page.
Will there be tuition to attend KM Connect?
- No. KM Connect will be a public charter school open to all KMSD residents and resident Wisconsin students through open enrollment.
Will there be a cap on enrollment for KM Connect?
- Yes, for the 2022-2023 school year, the cap for KM Connect is 150 students.
Will there be a lottery process if interest is so high that the cap is reached?
- If the number of persons seeking admission exceeds the capacity of the open seats available, then a lottery shall be conducted by the Charter School Operator to select the individuals who will be assigned the open seats. To be eligible for admission through this lottery-placement process, individuals must have submitted complete and valid enrollment applications by the end of the established registration window. Exemptions from the lottery shall be granted, in the following order:
- current students
- Siblings of students currently attending KM Connect
- Children of KM Connect teachers not to exceed more than 10% of school’s total enrollment.
- The Charter School will not be required to admit any student who is under a current expulsion order from a school district. Students cannot be placed at the school by the District. All student placements must follow the school’s admissions protocol.
Does my student need to have their own device?
- Every student will need his/her device. A student can use his/her own device or engage with the district’s Technology Partnership Program (TPP) program. For more information, please visit https://www.kmsd.edu/tpp.
What kind of device should my student be using?
- Due to the level of active engagement and communicative work that will be happening in KM Connect, any device with a full screen and active camera/microphone is appropriate. Smaller devices, such as phones or tablets, should not be used as a primary device for school.
Will my student be given a school Google account?
- Yes, all KM students are given a Google account upon entry to the district. The student’s Google account will be the primary hub for communication and documents.
What are the requirements / recommendations for my home network
Please visit https://www.kmsd.edu/kmconnect.
If you have questions, please email Eric Anderson at email@example.com