About KM Explore
The mission of KM Explore is to engage a community of learners through authentic learning experiences by empowering them to be self- motivated thinkers, creators, and collaborators.
The vision of KM Explore is to customize student learning through an integrated learning framework that fosters authentic collaboration, engagement and reflection.
Foundational Learning Pillars
Generative, Interdisciplinary Curriculum
Generative curriculum is the understanding that students, community and teachers work together to develop or create “in the moment” learning experiences.
- Encouraging voice and choice in learning topics
- Learning in a flexible manner, which content areas are interconnected throughout the day
- Generating an experience that empowers a learner to question, engage and build community based on class initiatives or individual student interests
- Growing learning pathways organically
Multiage Learning Community
A multiage learning structure is built around connecting students from various grade levels spanning K-5. Multiage learning provides an opportunity for students to build respect for each others’ differences, develop their own identity, and collectively work to create a meaningful learning experience for everyone in the classroom and school communities.
- Creating an environment which encourages empathy
- Recognizing learning as a process over time, everyone has strengths and weaknesses
- Building stronger connections across grade levels and within the school community
- Designing student goals around competencies, not grade levels
Habits of Mind
Habits of mind are a way for learners to internalize and apply life skills that will make them a more successful innovator, collaborator, problem solver and lifelong learner.
- Strengthening learning dispositions, traits or habits
- Taking a holistic approach when helping students grow
- Defining, modeling and practicing traits for being a productive citizen
- Building college, career and life readiness
- Focusing on self improvement and self awareness
- These habits include: persistence, managing impulsivity, thinking flexibly, listening with empathy
Place Based Learning
Place Based Learning is the belief that learning takes place inside and outside of the “school walls” and that the community and its members are all part of the anytime/everywhere learning environment.
- Redefining learning spaces outside of the classroom walls
- Using the community as resources, including students, community experts, and family members sharing their expertise with our learners
Collaborative Teaching and Learning
Team teaching involves two or more educators simultaneously encouraging collaboration, creativity, flexibility and learning in the classroom environment. Collaborative teaching helps develop and model learning behaviors, ideas and skills.
- Seeing learners through multiple perspectives
- Allowing natural relationships to form between student, teachers and parents
- Empowering teachers to use their strengths in the classroom and minimizing interruptions from learning
Updated: July 2015