At Dousman Elementary, we strive to create a safe, caring, and positive learning environment in which children build a solid academic foundation. We have a tradition of providing an excellent educational experience. Our dedicated and innovative staff members make Dousman Elementary, home of the Bullfrogs, an outstanding place for learning. Staff, students and families work together to create a strong community that encourages continuous growth and learning for all children and adults. We are honored to welcome about 475 students into our 19 classroom from 4-year old kindergarten through 5th grade each day.
Did you know?
- Dousman is service-minded. Our K-5 students learn through participation in projects that benefit our community. Students take responsibility for cleanup of school playgrounds and developing recycling programs in classrooms; they support the Wildlife in Need Center and upkeep of the pavilion in Downtown Dousman for the Dousman Chamber. Students sponsor the Birthday Box project and Christmas collection campaigns with understanding of the importance to support children in need.
Dousman Kindergarten teacher Andrea Blanchard was awarded the "Teacher of the Year" for the Kettle Moraine School District in 2012. In 2013, Library Media Specialist Debbie Thompson was awarded for her "Professional Achievement" and Music Teacher Vickie Marshall won the district's "Leadership" award!
Thanks in part to a dedicated PTO we have added $35,000 in nonfiction and fiction books to our classroom libraries and book room in the last two years. Our extensive book resources support the Common Core State Standards and the emphasis on fiction and nonfiction reading.
Dousman uses Learning Lab K-5! This time allows staff and students to focus on extensions and interventions in the areas of reading and math. Our educators analyze data every six to eight weeks to guide instruction and make adjustments that promote students growth and achievement.
The library is the hub of learning at Dousman. We are excited about the completion of a large remodeling project provided by the financial support of our PTO and supported by Dousman parent-designer Mary Walgren.
We make healthy choices! We were awarded a $1000 grant from Fuel up to Play 60 (FUTP 60) two times in the last two years for the team’s hard work and results in getting our students active through programs like “Fun and Fit Days of Play!”
We are Responsible, Safe and Respectful! Our staff and students believe in these three golden rules and the PBIS (Positive Behavior Intervention and Supports) approach for modeling expectations. We acknowledge our positive choices through individual, classroom, and school-wide opportunities.
- Artist in Residence, Marina Lee, returned to Dousman for her 3rd residency in as many years last year. Thanks to the support of our PTO and art department, Marina has been able to work with our students to create beautiful 3-dimensional creatures, portraits and benches that truly enrich our school. As you walk around our school, we are sure you will be amazed!
While we value the proud tradition of Dousman, we are constantly evolving to better serve the students and families of our school community.
Our mission at Dousman Elementary School is to strive for excellence by promoting curiosity, individuality, and responsibility. With the support of family and the community, we will challenge our children to reach their full potential and become life-long learners.
We believe that it is our responsibility to:
- Establish a safe and nurturing environment that inspires learning
- Set high academic expectations so that each child reaches his/her potential
- Collaborate with families, staff, and community to best meet the needs of each child
- Model the acceptance of and respect for individuals in an increasingly diverse society
- Empower children to become life-long learners and contributing members of a rapidly changing world