KMSD Special Education Philosophy
The Kettle Moraine philosophy of inclusive education is based on the premise that all children benefit socially, physically, emotionally, creatively, and academically from parents, teachers, and administrators sharing the responsibility of meeting the needs within a common learning environment.
The education atmosphere sought is one of mutual respect, freedom to develop individual potential and interests, and the ability to express ideas, feelings, and imagination.
Inclusive education involves all significant adults working collaboratively for the benefit of all children.
Least restrictive environment (LRE) is determined on an individual basis, with inclusion being the starting place. Removal from the regular classroom must be justified for each student with special education needs.
Special education in the School District of Kettle Moraine...
operates not as a separate entity, but in collaboration and cooperation with all staff members
- is a service, not a place
- includes a continuum of services offered to ensure student success
- serves students in the Least Restrictive Environment in which they can be successful
- is provided in the neighborhood school whenever possible
- involves parents as partners in decision making about their child's educational program
- is driven by student need, not categorical label
- uses a variety of techniques, strategies, and methods to address the different styles and rates of learning that students with disabilities exhibit
- assists classroom teachers in providing necessary modifications for students to be successful
- uses technology to assist students reach their potential