Senate Scholar Program
The Senate Scholar Program is an intensive week-long educational program offered by the Wisconsin State Senate. Admission to the program is highly competitive and is limited to 33 academically exceptional high school juniors and seniors from around Wisconsin. Each Senate Scholar receives a hands-on, up-close view of the Legislature’s role in our democracy.
Senate Scholars gain experience in such diverse areas as policy development, constituent relations, and processing legislation by working with Senators, legislative staff and University of Wisconsin faculty.
The Senate Scholar Program is open to Wisconsin high school students aged 16-18. The program is also open to qualified individuals who are homeschooled. Each Senate Scholar must have outstanding academic qualifications and experiences that demonstrate an ability to perform tasks with a high degree of responsibility. Applicants may also be subject to additional requirements imposed by their high school.
HOW TO APPLY
Each individual wishing to become a Senate Scholar must provide the following:
- Completed Application.
- Completed Senate Scholar Examination.
- Cover Letter.
- Completed Essay.
- Official transcripts indicating that the applicant has maintained at least the equivalent of a “B” average.
- Letter of nomination from the applicant’s State Senator.
- Letter of recommendation from a teacher or school administrator, attached to the enclosed recommendation form. The letter may not be written by a relative of the applicant.
- Letter of recommendation from another person familiar with the applicant’s skills and abilities, attached to the enclosed recommendation form. The letter may not be written by a relative of the applicant, but may be written by another teacher.
If you have any questions concerning the program or the application process, please contact Dr. Tammy Wehrle, Legislative Education and Outreach Officer, or Ted Blazel, Senate Sergeant at Arms at 266-1801, or email email@example.com.
ADDITIONAL APPLICATION MATERIALS
A digital copy of the application, more information and additional application materials may be downloaded from the following legislative website: www.senatescholar.com.
MAIL APPLICATION MATERIALS
All application materials must be received by November 21, 2018. Applicants will be notified of their admission status by December 14, 2018, or shortly thereafter. Please mail all application materials to:
Dr. Tammy Wehrle
Legislative Education and Outreach Officer
Office of the Senate Sergeant at Arms
P.O. Box 7882
Madison, WI 53707-7882