Welcome! The KM Parent Resource Network (KM PRN) is a parent-volunteer organization dedicated to YOU! Our purpose is to provide “continuing education” about the hot topics that are challenging our families today. Each year we survey the KM parent community about what you want to learn about, so all of our events are based on your feedback. We were founded on the mission of empowering proactive parenting in order to create an environment for our children to become healthy, responsible citizens. We support partnerships between parents, schools, and community by providing educational resources, parent networking, and informational events.
Check out our website! The left-hand side of this webpage will link you to a lot of valuable information about the KM PRN:
- Calendar of Events – Check out the FREE events we will be offering this school year. Check back often as we will add new events during the year.
- Contact Us – Have questions? Want to join our organization? Suggestions or comments? We’d love to hear from you! Our volunteer group consists of parents with children of all ages and across the district.
- Teen Parties: A Resource Guide for Families - Filled with great talking points & tips!
- Resources from Past Events – Topics ranging from healthy eating, dealing with anxiety and stress, bullying, drugs & alcohol, building healthy relationships and everything in between!
KMPRN Monthly Meeting - Please join us for our monthly meetings to learn, network and help plan our upcoming events. All meetings are held at the KM School District’s Main Office 563 A.J. Allen Circle, Wales, Room 108 (lower level conference room) from 12:00 noon -1:30pm. The KMPRN welcomes new members anytime! Check out this section for meeting dates, agenda’s and minutes.
Opt In! Remember to include “Parent Resource Network” as part of the informational emails you elect to receive. Click here to create or update your opt in profile. You will be glad you did! Also “like us” on Facebook!
Discover the Search Institute’s “9 Parenting Strategies for Raising Successful Kids”! This year our focus will be on ways parents can connect with their kids in order to increase and strength the number of “developmental assets” their children possess. Based on more than 50 years of research done by Search Institute, these positive, strength-based strategies will equip you with parenting tools that will help you raise thriving children. The KM Parent Resource Network will highlight one strategy each month as well as coordinate these strategies with our events to provide additional parenting resources.
- Click here to see the complete list of the “9 Strategies for Raising Successful Kids”.
- Click here for the list of 40 Developmental Assets and tips on asset building for ages 5-9.
- Click here for the list of 40 Developmental Assets and tips on asset building for ages 8-12.
- Click here for the list of 40 Developmental Assets and tips on asset building for ages 12-18.
What is the definition of a “PARENT”? When it comes to families, there is more that’s the same about all of us than different. The truth is, families are all experiencing similar challenges in today’s world and there are some basics that are important and apply to everyone……Yet all families are different! Today families come in more varied forms than ever before. The KM Parent Resource Network recognizes that we need to expand our definition of “PARENT” to include grandparents & relatives, guardians, foster parents, and caregivers who are involved in raising children. Remember “PARENT” stands for:
- Partner – Be there for your child and help prepare him/her with skills for life’s journey.
Advocate – Make sure to lobby for your child’s needs at school, home, and in the community.
- Resource – Become educated about today’s challenges facing families and how to navigate those challenges as well as where to find resources & information to help.
- Encourager – Support your child and believe in him/her. Compliment jobs well done!
- Negotiator – Staying within your family values & expectations, be willing to talk & find solutions.
- Team member – Remember “It Takes a Village” to raise healthy children, so stay connected with your child’s teacher, coaches, tutors/instructors, and friends’ parents in order to maintain strong lines of communication about your child.
Additional Parenting Related Programs in our Area
Parents United - www.parentsunitedwi.org
Parents United is a non-profit consortium of 21 special education departments including Kettle Moraine’s that have united to provide an educational community service for parents and professionals who work with children. They hold both evening and daytime programs and most are at the Country Springs Hotel & Conference Center, 2810 Golf Road in Pewaukee. Click here to download a Parents United brochure.
Parents Place – www.ppacinc.org (Click on the “Community Education” tab)
Located at 1570 E. Moreland Boulevard in Waukesha, Parents Place offers a wide range of parent support groups, parent education programs, children’s classes and play groups. Many classes are free but some classes may have an associated fee though financial aid is available. Childcare is often available. See their current class offerings on their website.
Thank you to all six of the PTO’s in the KM School District for their financial support of the KM Parent Resource Network!! Their generous contributions enable our organization to offer all of our quality programs FREE of charge to our families. Remember that our PTO’s enhance our school communities through their fundraising activities that benefit our students, teacher and staff appreciation, school spirit wear, and the informational & networking opportunities hosted at their meetings. Connect to your schools by participating in your PTO’s! And remember to OPT IN to your PTO’s as well. Our thanks go out to the following PTO’s:
- KM High School PTO
- KM Middle School PTO, www.kmsd.edu/mspto
- Cushing Elementary PTO, www.kmsd.edu/cushingpto
- Dousman Elementary PTO, www.kmsd.edu/dousmanpto
- Magee Elementary PTO, www.kmsd.edu/ptomagee
- Wales Elementary PTO, www.kmsd.edu/ptowales